Tuesday, August 26, 2008

What Defines Tech Savvy?

The new school year has just started and I had high hopes of a very technology ready class. I have web-based applications bookmarked on delicious ready to go. So I asked all 127 of my kids the same questions.

Of 127 kids, 5 had their own start page where they control the content.
Of 127 kids, 3 had heard of RSS feeds or readers and none knew what either was.
Of 127 kids, 56 of them looked at me like I was speaking gibberish when I suggested that they secure a thumb drive.
Of 127 kids, 5 had heard of delicious but 2 thought that it referred to food.

Is this what we are calling tech savvy? Is this the group that is termed "Digital Natives"? So they can use a plug in template like facebook or myspace. How useful is that? How do we bridge that gap between social networks and the real utility of the information super highway?

2 comments:

Scott Mooney said...

Hi Doug-

I stopped by to see if you had been using your blog like I thought you would but from this post it seems like you've got bigger fish to fry. I hope all is well as you continue toward conclusion with the cohort and if you ever need to bounce something off someone, don't hesitate to contact me.

Scott

Spicher113 said...

I have fish to fry, yes. The b;og has just gotten away from me. Stop back in a few days...