Thursday, June 12, 2008

Getting into the groove...

I have been looking at presentations that I see in a new way. I am trying to see them through the CLT (cognitive learning theory) filter and am having issues with the busy-ness of some slides and videos. Even the ones from United Streaming seem to be loaded and assume lots of prior knowledge. So my question is this, where do you draw the distinction between too high a cognitive load and having to assume some prior knowledge? Isn't some prior knowledge required to derive new knowledge from presentations? So if I show a slide on the periodic table, am I to assume no prior knowledge at all? Thoughts?

1 comment:

atechtchr2c said...

Hi Doug,

That seems to be a great question. My take on all that I've learned this week is that we must do something to assess prior knowledge and take this into consideration as we prepare multi-media presentations. This may also be a feed into designing a "differentiated" presentation.

Anyone else have an idea?